12.30.2010

A Year-End Career Introspection

This holiday season, I preferred to file a leave of absence for a vacation rather than going to office.  I actually planned this action in order to take a breather and leave the work atmosphere for a while. I wanted to take this time to think about my future actions regarding my career.


I wanted to weigh over my options.  Gladly, I found this article that was very helpful in assessing my predicaments.


(Article is from this site http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/111648/is-it-time-to-leave-your-job?mod=career-worklife_balance   )


Is it time to leave my job? The questions were bombs to my thoughts.




1. Does my company stand for something -- anything -- special?
It's hard to be thrilled with your job if the company you work for is struggling to succeed, or feels stuck and irrelevant. I'm not talking about obvious problems -- red ink and layoffs. I mean the nagging sense that the company will never be anything more than OK, just another ho-hum player in its field. In this hyper-competitive age, you can't do great things as a company if you're just a little better than everybody else. Does the company you work for really stand out from the crowd? If not, why on earth are you working there?
This is the biggest issue I have with the company.  Though I found myself relevant to my area of work, the company is struggling in terms of technical exploration and development.  Rate of development can kill your patience.  I am skeptical to talk about this, but as a person looking into the process/management, I can't help but be disappointed so as to voice out such grievances. The company has its vision and mission yet I can not comprehend a more elaborate and deeper meaning with great significance both to its employees and customers. Neither a concrete plan nor an operative and strategic routine is ever well-constructed at this point for the sake of the company's long years in business.
2. Am I excited to see my colleagues when I show up for work on Monday morning?
Lots of people sign on with a company because it's got a cool reputation, or it's prestigious, or it's got a great stock price. But quickly you realize that "working for" a company is an abstraction. The reality is that you work with the people closest to you -- those in your department, in your unit, in your region. Most experts say that over the long term, employees aren't loyal to a company as a company. They are loyal to the people they work beside day after day. Can you imagine not spending 40 or 50 hours a week with the people you work beside every day? If so, maybe it's time to make a move and fine a group of colleagues who stimulate you and motivate you.
Working in a dynamic group of professionals is something to look forward in any organization. It is a  determinant on how long should I stay with the company. I always make a point that I can contribute to the synergy that can push the activity of the organization.
At present, do I have this motivation?   I am still searching for it.  I found few colleagues that have the same spirit, same intentions, same goals and same missions as I am in introducing changes in the organization. I am just hoping that we are one in this endeavor.
3. Do I have a voice at work -- does anyone who matters listen to what I say?
There's nothing more depressing and demotivating than feeling that you don't matter as a person -- even if you're part of a group that's working well in a company that's doing fine. In this age of participation and communication, people are hungry for a say, a voice, a sense that their opinion counts. If you feel like your opinion doesn't count, maybe it's time to find a company where it does.

One thing I enjoy in the company is having a say in some company issues especially when it comes to the production-related schemes.   
Do they listen to me? 
It is something worthwhile. 
4. Am I learning as fast as the world is changing?
I first heard this question from strategy guru Gary Hamel, and I ask it of myself all the time. In a world that moves so fast, the most dangerous thing in anyone's career is the sense that you're standing still -- that you're not learning, that you're not being challenged, that you're stuck. If that's how you feel, that's a strong sign that it's time to make a change.

This question stabbed me right through.  This gives me endless frustrations, endless self-pressure, and endless battle against undetermined specialization. I really felt stuck. 
Currently, major problems that I have is tracing history so that can provide solutions, troubleshooting existing defects on consumers' products that are occurring abnormally, and providing innovative ideas for product development.
I hope this coming year is bound with boulders of challenges that will make me busy and mobile.
5. Am I making enough money?
Strange as it sounds, this is the worst reason to leave a job. Virtually every study I've seen shows that there's almost no connection between how much money you make and how satisfied you are with your job. There really are things that money can't buy -- and happiness at work is one of them.

This may be the worst reason but I bet this is the most anticipated reason here in the Philippines. And as for me, I am one of those underpaid professionals.

Whoa! I think enough has been said. And the verdict.....wait till I get another shot.!

Happy New Year! Wishing you a more prosperous career to look forward to.









3 comments:

  1. hi vhinong. happy new year! i hope next year things will be better. I hope that the signs that will help you with your decision are clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the kid in the pic is yours? cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year too, Sean. Cheers to a promising new year to all of us!

    ReplyDelete